Tuesday, May 8, 2012

weekend market ♥!

We love markets--wet, dry, big, or small. There's something about the "noise" in the market that makes it "special." Plus the SMELL. The scent of fresh fruits and veggies, meats, and the sea will make you hurry home and whip up special dishes. And of course, there's that I-can't-describe smell that is the trademark of a wet market. I seem to "miss" this smell whenever I do my marketing inside a mall. :) And then there's this weekend market or "tabo" where farmers get to sell their produce or showcase local delicacies such as this one:


What's in a name? Hagikhik is the name of this kakanin, which I find funny since "hagikhik" is also the local term for scabies. FYI. This food is named as such since the wrapping or pambalot  is a hagikhik leaf, which gives the food that distinct and one-of-a-kind taste. Plus the filling of sweetened macapuno is simply irresistible.


Another local produce that I always look forward seeing in a weekend market is the "palaw," payaw," or "paw." Forgive me but I don't know it's English name. :( I love it this way: cooked slowly in coconut milk and brown sugar. Yum!


And lastly, weekend market is not complete without the presence of the mighty bananas! :)

minatamis na saging :)
'til we meet again next week, weekend market! :)


No comments:

Post a Comment